NYC Gumbo. Gumbo in New York on YP.com. See reviews, photos, directions, phone numbers and more for the best Creole & Cajun Restaurants in New York, NY. All game developers, artists, designers, producers, and general enthusiasts in the NYC community who want to get together and work on games together are welcome.
Cozy brick lined space serving classic handmade gumbo and po'boys paired with beer. Roasted oysters and praline beignets are in a Creole vein, Cane River gumbo and boudin balls are more Cajun, while lamb meatball po' boys and Cajun hummus are pure invention. Unique, quality clothing, accessories, world crafts, toys, art and more. You can cook NYC Gumbo using 22 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of NYC Gumbo
- Prepare 1 pound of Spicy Sausage (Conecuh or Andouille).
- Prepare 1 pound of Shrimp (or Chicken Breast).
- Prepare 1 cup of Rice (Un-cooked).
- You need 1/4 cup of Unsalted Butter.
- You need 1/2 cup of Flour (all-purpose).
- It's 1/4 cup of Canola Oil.
- Prepare 3 Cups of Yellow Onions (2 Medium Onion / Chopped).
- Prepare 1 Cup of Celery Stalks (3 sticks / Chopped).
- You need 1 1/2 Cups of Green Bell Peppers (2 Peppers / Chopped).
- It's 2 teaspoons of Garlic (2 Cloves).
- Prepare 1 pound of fresh Okra (or Zucchini).
- Prepare 14 ounces of Tomatoes (or Diced Can).
- It's 1 tablespoon of Creole seasoning.
- It's 1/2 tablespoon of Smoked Paprika.
- It's 1 tablespoon of Thyme.
- It's 1/4 cups of Parsley (Chopped).
- You need 1 tablespoon of Gumbo File.
- Prepare 3 of Bay Leaves.
- You need 2 teaspoons of Hot Sauce.
- It's 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire Sauce.
- It's 1 tablespoon of Chicken Bouillon powder (or 1 cube).
- You need 6 cups of Chicken Stock.
Catering is the latest focus for Gumbo Bros. as it provides a vast opportunity for growth. Dumbo (or DUMBO, short for D own U nder the M anhattan B ridge O verpass) is a neighborhood in the New York City borough of Brooklyn. The area known as DUMBO used to be known as Gairville. Evan Sung for The New York Times Gumbo is like many regional dishes: there are nearly as many interpretations as there are cooks.
NYC Gumbo step by step
- Ingredient Prep (20 min): In this section we will prepare the ingredients so you aren't running around mid cooking. This whole dish takes place in a large Dutch Oven, keeping the stove peaceful and cleaner. The Okra can be a bit slimy. Soaking it in vinegar for 30 min with a wash. Grill on a high heat and cut. 1. Chop Celery 2. Chop Onion 3. Chop Peppers 4. Cut Okra into 1/2in. pieces 5. Mince Garlic 6. Chop Parsley 7. Chop Tomatoes 8. Spice Chicken (Salt and Pepper) 9. Cut up Sausage.
- Meat Cook (20 min): We will be cook out meats first. If you chose the Shrimp route, that will be cooked at the end. When removing the meat, leave the fond (meat drippings). 1. Add oil to the Dutch Oven on a medium-high heat. 2. Cook the chicken on both sides until brown (4-5 min per side) 3. Remove the chicken and add the Sausage. 4. While Sausage cooks, move around so both sides of pieces are browned 5. Remove Sausage, leaving the fond..
- Making the Roux (20-30 min): This will be our gumbo base. We MUST keep and eye on this since it can burn. Add the Butter (1/4 cup), Oil (1/4 cup) to the Dutch Oven with the fond. Whisk the Flour (1/2 cup) as we add it to the roux. Now bring the roux to a medium heat and whisking for 20-30 min, until a caramel color. Once finished, remove from the stove to let it cool for a little bit. (not sure how long though...).
- Adding the Trinity (8-10 min): Add and Cook the following for 8-10 min. Stir too! - Onion - Celery - Green Peppers - Garlic.
- Adding Some More (5 min): Add and Cook the following for 5 min again. More stirring! - Sausage - Chicken (if you have it) - Creole Seasoning (1 Tbsp.) - Paprika (1/2 Tbsp.) - Thyme (1 Tbsp.) - Bay Leaves (3) - Chicken Bouillon (1 cube or tsp.).
- Adding the Rest and Simmer(2 Hours): After the final ingredient below. Bring this beast to a boil then reduce to low heat and simmer for 2 hours. - Tomatoes - Chicken Stock - Worcestershire - Hot Sauce.
- Post Simmer Step (5 min) Remove Bay Leaves and add if you have shrimp, add it to the gumbo to cook for 5 min..
- Finish and Serve: Add Parsley, and Gumbo powder. Serve.
Most include the common Louisiana trinity of vegetables: green peppers, celery and onion. Gumbo is such a fun, welcoming space and a real asset to families in Brooklyn. At a time when all small businesses are in jeopardy especially in New York, it's great to have a place like this around to keep the neighborhood unique. It is a hearty, rich Creole stew. NYC Gumbo - This recipe is perfect for when you have no idea what to cook.