Chicken Ala King Pie. Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Though its name may sound regal on first read, Chicken à la King is as creamy and comforting as it comes.
While it's a delight served over anything from toast to noodles, we Southerners prefer it over a warm, homemade biscuit. If you live alone and you're planning on making this recipe for yourself, I assure you this recipe will bail you out more than once so you can eat homemade in no time. Potpies are convenient because you can prepare and freeze then until you're ready to bake them. You can have Chicken Ala King Pie using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chicken Ala King Pie
- It's 1 cup of shredded cooked chicken breast.
- It's 1 of whole onion finely chopped.
- You need 1 pack of frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn and green peas).
- It's 1 block of shredded quick melt cheese.
- It's 1/4 cup of all purpose flour.
- You need 1/4 cup of all purpose cream.
- You need 1/4 cup of melted butter.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes.
- It's 1 of large egg beaten.
Chicken à la King has an unclear origin, but some very clear requirements and this recipe meets them all, including: chicken (of course), creamy sauce, pimientos and cooked vegetables. Top fresh-baked biscuits with hearty chicken and fresh veggies in a rich cream sauce (made with one of our favorite shortcut ingredients ever). It's everything you need for a complete meal-no sides required. It's a great way to use leftover chicken or turkey.
Chicken Ala King Pie step by step
- Sauté chopped onion in butter then add shredded chicken breast..
- Add frozen vegetables and sauté for another 2 minutes..
- Mix all purpose flour and all purpose cream and add to mixture. (You can replace cream with chicken stock if you don’t want it too creamy).
- Add cheese and turn off the heat when the cheese melts..
- Flatten the mixture in a butter greased baking dish..
- Top the dish with the mashed potato completely covering the top..
- Brush the mashed potato with egg wash and bake under 250 degrees for 10 to 15 mins or until the mashed potato turns golden brown..
Green pepper and red pimientos make this a pretty dish to serve at Christmas or anytime. Serve over cooked rice, toast, or noodles. Comforting Chicken a la King Tips Why is it called Chicken a la King? Depending on who you ask, you may hear a different tale about how Chicken a la King got its name. Where is Chicken a la King from?