Cuban Pot Roast (similar to Mexican Carnitas). I used a chuck roast for my keto Latin American pot roast, which is inspired by Cuban Ropa Vieja - but also pulls in some flavors that are more commonly used in Mexican cooking. Made in the crock pot or Instant Pot, this keto Latin American pot roast is incredibly easy to put together, and reheats very well all week long. Afterwards, use two forks to pull the roast apart into chunks for Cuban pulled pork.
Adding the oranges is very much like braising pork Cuban-style for the traditional cubano sandwich. The milk acts as a tenderizer, a secret I learned while growing up watching dad make his carnitas which, by the way, were always exceptionally tender. True carnitas are cooked in a caso (large mexican copper pot). You can cook Cuban Pot Roast (similar to Mexican Carnitas) using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Cuban Pot Roast (similar to Mexican Carnitas)
- You need 1 of slow cooker liner for crockpot (makes clean up easy).
- You need 1 of 4 lb pork roast (shoulder or rump roast).
- It's 1 tsp of garlic.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of cumin.
- It's 1/4 tsp of cinnamin.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of coriander.
- It's 2 medium of bay leaves.
- It's 1 tsp of italian seasoning.
- Prepare 1 quart of chicken broth.
- You need 2 of stalks of celery (use the top with the leaves).
- Prepare 1 medium of onion (minced).
Large chunks are slow cooked in pork lard. This Low Carb Pulled Pork Carnitas recipe is the perfect base for many tasty meals. Great for expanding your Mexican Keto recipe list. A pressure cooker is an asset to any kitchen, and we certainly get loads of use out of both our instant pot and stove-top pressure cookers.
Cuban Pot Roast (similar to Mexican Carnitas) instructions
- place slow cooker liner in crockpot..
- mix all the dry spices in the food processor ... if you don't have a food processor then mix with a wisk well..
- mix rub all over roast and let rest for almost 1 hr..
- put the bay leaves and 2 cup of chicken broth in the bottom of crockpot..
- place roast fat side up in crockpot. If there isn't enough fat I lay thick bacon over the 'up' portion of the roast. after you put leftover rub on the roast..
- let roast cook 5 hours and turn..
- after 10 hours on low take roast out of cooker..
- remove bay leaves, when you take it out to shred..
- shred roast using forks and put back in cooker..
Known in Mexican cooking as braised or roasted pork served shredded in small pieces, often as the filling in burritos, tacos, etc. Typically cooked in a copper pot with a ton of fat… In the spirit of Cinco de Mayo, I've gone keto crazy & created a few low carb versions of the best traditional Mexican recipes. How to make carnitas in the Instant Pot? Place in the Instant Pot and add the spices. Place roast in the slow cooker.