Family favourite shepherds pie. Good old family classic shepherd's pie made vegan friendly. A perfect comfort food dish for a cold winter's day, which the whole family will enjoy (even the fussiest little eaters will love it). SORTED food and Lea & Perrins team up to show you how to cook the family favourite, Shepherd's Pie.
What follows is a simple recipe for a ground beef version of Shepherd's Pie. The original recipe comes from my friend Frances Hochschild, and her mother. This family favorite shepherd's pie is made with spicy ground beef, green beans, and a super easy buttery potato crust. You can have Family favourite shepherds pie using 14 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Family favourite shepherds pie
- You need 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 1 of large onion, finely chopped.
- It's 1 stick of celery, finely chopped.
- It's 3 of medium carrots, finely chopped1 tbsp olive oil.
- You need 8-10 of potatoes, boiled and mashed with a little butter and salt to taste (you could do more if you like lots of mash on top like us!).
- You need 500 g of lean beef mince.
- It's 300 g of frozen Quorn mince.
- It's 350 ml of veg stock - we use bouillon as its vegan and organic.
- You need 1 of beef oxo cube (optional if you're using beef mince).
- You need 1 tbsp of plain flour.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar.
- It's 1 of level tsp smoked paprika.
- Prepare 1 of heaped tsp marmite (it makes all the difference - even if you're a marmite hater!).
- It's 1 tsp of tomato puree.
Shepherd's pie is technically a savory meat pie made with ground lamb simmered in a gravy or broth. Vegetables are often layered under the meat or mixed with the meat..with the kind of refrigeration we had in our homes, cooked meat could be kept much more safely than raw. Therefore, when housewives bought their Sunday meat they selected pieces large enough to. Shepherd's pie that has a bit more gravy than normal.
Family favourite shepherds pie step by step
- Heat the oil in a large pan (oven proof if possible to save on washing up!) Add the veg and cook for 10-15 mins until lovely and soft..
- Add the beef mince and cook for 5 minutes or so until browned. Now add the Quorn mince and cook for a few minutes..
- Sprinkle over the Oxo cube and paprika and stir into the mince. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir again. Add a few tbsps of stock and cook for a minute or two to allow the mince to absorb the flavour..
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir well into the mince mix. Gradually add half of the remaining stock and simmer for a few minutes. The liquid should start to thicken. At this point, add the marmite and the tomato puree and stir again..
- Add a little more of the stock and keep adding until the "gravy" reaches the desired consistency. You may not need all the stock..
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper and take off the heat. If you have time, let the mince mixture and the mash cool a little as it's easier to build the pie when its had time to cool down..
- When ready, pour the mince mix into a large ovenproof dish. Spoon the mashed potato on the top and fluff up with a fork..
- Cook in a preheated oven at 190˚ for about 25-35 minutes. (If you have left the mixture to cool completely beforehand, reduce the heat of the oven to 180˚ and cook for 40 - 45 minutes.).
- Serve with some fresh green veg whilst piping hot. Try not to fall out over the crispy bits!.
Just halve the ingredients for a smaller pie. Shepherd's Pie is one of those foods that brings a smile to everyone's face - especially when you get seconds! A deeply savoury lamb and vegetable filling While Shepherd's Pie is traditionally made with lamb, beef is just as tasty in this recipe. This is a timeless classic - make this once and you'll make it. This family friendly shepherd's pie uses ground beef (instead of the traditional lamb), and your Instant Pot® or multi-cooker pressure cooker to prepare the filling and Here's a quick, throw together recipe for shepherd's pie.