Caldo Verde com Chouriço (Portuguese Collard Green Soup).
You can cook Caldo Verde com Chouriço (Portuguese Collard Green Soup) using 8 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Caldo Verde com Chouriço (Portuguese Collard Green Soup)
- Prepare 2 tbs of extra virgin olive oil.
- You need 1 of chouriço,linguiça or Spanish chorizo sliced in 1/4 inch rounds.
- It's 1 of large onion, diced.
- It's to taste of Salt and white pepper,.
- You need 3 of garlic cloves, minced.
- Prepare 6 of large potatoes, peeled and chopped.
- Prepare 4 cups of chicken stock AND 3 cups of water.
- You need 1 pound of (medium bunch) collard greens or kale, sliced thin *****.
Caldo Verde com Chouriço (Portuguese Collard Green Soup) instructions
- In a large pot, add your olive oil and brown the chouriço on medium heat. Allow the fat from the sausage to really come out as this helps flavour the soup. Once done, remove chouriço with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent, then add your garlic. Stir to combine.
- Add your raw potatoes to the pot, stir then add your water and chicken broth. Bring everything to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Using a wand blender, puree the soup to a smooth consistency. You want it mostly smooth but a few SMALL potato pieces are fine..
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Add your collard greens (or kale) and your choiriço back to the pot and bring back up to just a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 3-5 min.
- Serve with bread if desired.
- ** note: remember to remove the stem from your greens.