Chicken, Ham and Leek Pie. Put in a saucepan and pour on the chicken stock. CHICKEN, HAM AND LEEK PIE Making this chicken, ham and leek pie from scratch feels like an accomplishment, but it's not that hard. This hot water crust pastry is forgiving, too - easy to roll and move around.
Chicken Ham and Leek Pie, a British pub favourite that is equally a family favourite. A chicken and ham mix in a creamy leek sauce topped of with a buttery flaky crust. Ham and leek are always a good combination. You can have Chicken, Ham and Leek Pie using 18 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken, Ham and Leek Pie
- Prepare of For The Filling.
- Prepare 600 ml of Chicken stock - Flavoured with Herbs (Thyme, Rosemary and Black Peppercorns).
- You need 8-10 of Chicken Thighs - Skinned and Boned.
- Prepare 2 of Large Leeks.
- Prepare 85 Gr of Unsalted Butter (important if using Salty Pork Hoc).
- You need 85 Gr of Plain Flour.
- Prepare 50 ml of Double cream (can us whipping cream if not available).
- Prepare 300 Gr of Pork Hoc - Cooked and Shredded.
- It's 2 Tbls of English Mustard.
- You need 75 Gr of Cheddar Grated - I used Mild but up to taste.
- You need to Taste of Salt and Pepper.
- You need of For the Pastry.
- Prepare 250 Gr of Plain Floor.
- Prepare 1 of Sml Egg.
- It's 45 Gr of Unsalted Butter.
- Prepare 45 Gr of Lard Diced (or you can use the Chicken schmaltz when making your own stock if you have it).
- It's 100 ml of water.
- It's 1 of Egg to Glaze.
The saltiness of the ham complements perfectly the sweetness of the leek. Heat the chicken stock in lidded saucepan. Pour the cooking liquor into a large jug. Doing so will remove all the Bookmarks you have created for this recipe.
Chicken, Ham and Leek Pie step by step
- Put Chicken Stock in a saucepan add 5 Sprigs of rosemary 5 sprigs of thyme and 5 peppercorns. Bring to a simmer, then infuse over a low heat for 5 minutes. Then strain to leave just the Stock..
- Add the chicken thighs to the pan, bring back to a simmer and cook gently for 20 minutes. Add the leeks and cook for 10-15 minutes until soft..
- Strain the stock into a clean bowl, and set aside the chicken and leeks to cool..
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute to make a roux. Swap the spoon for a whisk. Slowly add the reserved chicken stock to the roux, whisking constantly to keep the sauce smooth. Continue cooking the sauce over a medium-low heat for 2–3 minutes, or until the sauce thickens..
- Remove from Heat and Add Cheese and allow to melt, add the Cream and mustard..
- Then Return all the Leeks, Ham and chicken to the sauce and stir to combine. Allow to Cool..
- Place the flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Pour in the eggs. Mix on a medium speed until well incorporated- About 30 secs..
- Melt the butter, lard and 250ml water in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Turn the mixer to a low speed and gradually pour in the warm liquid, stopping as soon as a dough forms. (You can do this by hand with a large bowl and Spoon)..
- Spoon the cooled filling into a oven Proof dish, then roll out the pasty so bigger than the top. Place the pasty on the top and push around the edges trimming any excess..
- Brush the surface evenly with beaten egg and cut a small hole in the middle of the top, to allow the steam to escape. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes (or upto a day) to allow the pastry to set..
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. and cook for 35-40min until pastry is golden and filling is bubbling. Take out of the Oven and rest for 5 mins before serving..
Mix the cooked chicken in a bowl with the cooked ham, leeks, peas and parsley. Discard the excess oil from the roasting tin, put the tin directly over a medium heat and fry the onion a little longer if not well browned. Chicken, Ham, Leek and Mushroom Pie A real winner of a chicken dinner! It can be hard to choose just a few fillings for a pie, so why not put them all in? This pie is some of the best comfort food around, a big creamy bowl of happiness.